US must convince judge it has reunited migrants under five

The US government must convince a judge on Thursday that it has complied with a court order for reuniting the youngest migrant children who were separated from their parents by US officials.

Published: 12th July 2018 04:17 PM  |   Last Updated: 12th July 2018 04:17 PM   |  A+A-

By UNI

The US government must convince a judge on Thursday that it has complied with a court order for reuniting the youngest migrant children who were separated from their parents by US officials after they crossed the US -Mexico border.

The government has until 3 p.m. PDT (2200 GMT) on Thursday to explain to US​ Judge Dana Sabraw in San Diego how many children still must be reunited with their parents and to inform him if it met Tuesday's deadline for reuniting children under five.

On Wednesday night, a government official said all children under five who were eligible for reunification would be with their parents by Thursday morning.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), which sued the government over its separation policies, questioned that assertion.

"Their statement is vague at a minimum," said attorney Lee Gelernt.

"We know they missed the deadline."

Sabraw has asked the ACLU to propose penalties in the event he finds the deadline was missed.

The judge in June ordered the government to reunite by Tuesday the youngest children separated from their parents and all children by July 26.

The two sides will return to court on Friday to map out steps for reuniting the remaining children, who comprise the bulk of those separated.

Sabraw earlier this week called that effort "a significant undertaking."

The government has said it is taking care to ensure children are safe by checking parents' criminal history, testing DNA to prove family relationships and reviewing adults for their suitability as a caregiver.

The ACLU has said none of those steps would be necessary if the government had never separated the families in the first place.

The government adopted its family separation policy as part of a broader effort to discourage illegal immigration earlier this year.

The Trump administration buckled to intense political pressure and abandoned the policy in June.

Not all the migrant families who were separated at the border entered the country illegally.

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

facebook twitter whatsapp