32 killed in suicide attack on Afghan protesters: official

The attack came hours after a double bombing in front of a girls' school in the provincial capital of Jalalabad killed a boy and wounded four others.

Published: 11th September 2018 03:16 PM  |   Last Updated: 11th September 2018 08:07 PM   |  A+A-

Bomb blast

For representational purposes

By AFP

JALALABAD:  A suicide attack on protesters in eastern Afghanistan on Tuesday killed at least 32 people, officials said, as an uptick in violence across the war-torn country dampens hopes for peace talks and elections.  

There were chaotic scenes at several hospitals as medical staff struggled to treat 128 people wounded by the powerful blast in Nangarhar province. 

Gul Majid was among scores of protesters blocking the highway between the provincial capital of Jalalabad and a major Pakistan border crossing when he "heard a big bomb". 

An Afghan victim receives treatment at a hospital following a suicide attack in Mohmand Dara district of Nangarhar Province, on September 11, 2018. (Photo | AFP)

"Then I saw flesh, blood and people wounded all around me," Majid told AFP outside one of the hospitals. 

"I am still looking for my friends. I don't know whether they are alive or dead."

The men had been protesting over the appointment of a local police chief, provincial governor spokesman Ataullah Khogyani said.

ALSO READ | Taliban attack Afghanistan security forces in north, killing 52 people

Provincial health director Najibullah Kamawal and Khogyani both confirmed the latest casualty toll. 

The attack came hours after a double bombing in front of a girls' school in the provincial capital Jalalabad, which killed a boy and wounded four others.

The first explosion happened in front of Malika Omaira girls' school at around 8:30 am (0400 GMT), Khogyani told AFP earlier.

(Photo | AP)

A second bomb went off as students from a neighbouring boys' school and locals gathered at the scene, he added.

There has been no claim of responsibility for any of the attacks, but the Taliban and the Islamic State (IS) group are active in Nangarhar.

A wave of violence across Afghanistan in recent weeks has claimed the lives of hundreds of civilians and security forces, as the Taliban makes gains on the battlefield and IS launches deadly urban attacks.

Men carry a dead body with a civilian vehicle in Momandara district of Nangarhar province, Afghanistan, Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2018. (Photo | AP)

The fighting has tempered optimism that had been tentatively growing as Afghan and international players ratchet up efforts to convince the Taliban to negotiate an end to the 17-year conflict.

An unprecedented ceasefire in June followed by talks between US officials and Taliban representatives in Qatar in July raised hopes that peace negotiations could bring an end to the fighting.

There has been speculation the two sides will meet again this month.

ALSO READ | 12 dead as helicopter carrying munitions crash in Afghanistan

The Taliban have long insisted on direct talks with Washington and refused to negotiate with the Afghan government, which they see as illegitimate.

But newly appointed US envoy Zalmay Khalilzad has cancelled further talks with the militants until he has reviewed the American strategy, a Western official in Kabul told AFP on the condition of anonymity.

The information could not be immediately confirmed. One militant source, a senior Taliban commander based in neighbouring Pakistan, had told AFP he expected more talks to be held "soon".

Disaster

The intensified fighting has also fuelled speculation over whether Afghanistan's long-delayed parliamentary elections will go ahead on October 20. 

The country's already overstretched security forces will be tasked with protecting thousands of polling stations around the country at a time when they are already struggling to beat back insurgents.

Delivering ballot papers and monitoring the vote, which is seen as a test run for next year's presidential election, will be challenging, officials have warned.

There are already concerns about widespread fraud.

ALSO READ |  20 killed in Afghanistan as anti-Taliban leader mourned

In the past two days Taliban fighters killed nearly 60 members of the security forces in a spate of attacks in the country's north and threatened a provincial capital for the second time in as many months.

After seizing a military base in Sar-e-Pul, Taliban fighters were closing in on the provincial capital in a situation that could result in "disaster" if reinforcements were not sent, the area's police chief Abdul Qayom Baqizoy warned on Monday.

Baqizoy compared the threat to the Taliban's extraordinary raid last month on the provincial capital of Ghazni -- fighters held large parts of the city located just two hours from Kabul for days.

On Tuesday security forces had managed to push back Taliban fighters by a couple of kilometres, locals and officials told AFP.

Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

facebook twitter whatsapp