This undated image shows a frame from a video released by Islamic State militants Tuesday that purports to show the killing of journalist James Foley by the militant group. Foley, from Rochester, N.H., went missing in 2012 in northern Syria while on assignment for Agence France-Press and the Boston-based media company GlobalPost | AP Photo
WASHINGTON — A U.S. official says the Islamic State militants who beheaded American journalist James Foley in Syria had demanded $132.5 million — or 100 million Euros— in ransom for his release.
A second U.S. official says the demands were sent in emails to Foley's family in New Hampshire. Both officials spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the ransom demands by name.
Separately, Foley's former employer said that the militants first demanded the money late last year.
GlobalPost CEO Philip Balboni also indicated that European governments paid far less to have the Islamic State release their hostages.
U.S. policy prohibits the government negotiating with terrorists, including paying ransom.
A video of Foley's beheading was released on websites Tuesday.
Disclaimer: We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the NIE editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.