Maruti Suzuki India will lift the month-long lockout at its violence-hit Manesar plant and resume operations on August 21, the company said today.
The country's largest carmaker has also issued termination notices to 500 regular workers, who were allegedly involved in the July 18 violence in which one senior executive was killed and nearly 100 others were injured.
"We plan to lift the lockout from August 21 and resume production at Manesar," Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) Chairman R C Bhargava told reporters here.
Maruti Suzuki India had declared a lockout at the Manesar plant on July 21, stating the safety and wellbeing of its employees were paramount to the company.
The Manesar unit is at present guarded by the Haryana Police. The Police had last week said it would continue to provide security and station a full battalion, comprising 500-600 policemen, inside the facility where some of the popular car models were made.
On the fate of workers involved in the violence, Bhargava said: "We have issued termination notices to 500 regular workers."
The plant, while on full operations before the violence, employed around 3,000 workers, of which around 1,600 were permanent employees. Besides, about 700 managerial people were also working at the plant.
The Manesar plant, which has an annual capacity of 5.5 lakh units, rolls out the company's popular models Swift, entry level sedan DZiRE and SX4 along with compact car A-Star.
The Haryana government had announced formation of a special investigation team (SIT) headed by Assistant Commissioner of Police Ravinder Tomar to probe violence at Manesar plant.
On August 1, the police had arrested 10 office bearers of the Maruti Suzuki Workers' Union, including its President Ram Meher and General Secretary Sarabjit Singh, taking the total number of workers arrested to 114 in relation to the incident.
Last year the company had witnessed three incidents of labour unrest at Manesar plant due to which it had suffered a loss of around Rs 2,500 crore for 83,000 units.