Income tax department to get special powers to recover tax dues from defaulters overseas

I-T department can now request foreign countries to recover tax from all defaulters, on behalf of India, under Indian income-tax laws. There was a big constraint earlier...

Published: 22nd July 2019 02:12 PM  |   Last Updated: 23rd July 2019 09:44 AM   |  A+A-


For representational purposes

By Online Desk

The amendment to the Income Tax Act, 1996, made by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman in her first Union Budget, will now allow the government to recoup Income Tax dues from wilful defaulters who shift to foreign countries to evade tax, even if they don't have any property there.

Once the finance bill is passed by the Parliament, if India has a mutual agreement with the tax department authorities of other countries, the Indian Government can request those countries to recover income tax from these defaulters under Indian income-tax laws.

2019 Union Budget: Government seeks to allay fears on surcharge on super rich with budget

The earlier law (Section 228A of the Income Tax Act) had a big constraint for taxmen hoping to recover tax from defaulters who do not stay on Indian soil. It was mandatory for the taxmen in such instances to identify a property of the evader overseas to recover tax from the defaulters.

However, according to the new law, even if the Indian authorities have not identified a property belonging to the tax evader in the foreign country, they can now recover the taxes that are due with the help of tax officials from the country where the defaulter resides.

How taxmen can recover tax from overseas defaulters?

Firstly, India needs to declare the person as an income-tax defaulter.

Then, the officer in charge of collecting the tax must send a tax recovery certificate to the Central Board of Direct Taxes with the amount that needs to be recovered from the tax evader.

ALSO READ: Budget proposals like higher FDI and public shareholding can fetch USD 25 billion: Morgan Stanley

The Central Board of Direct Taxes will then intimate the foreign tax officials who can recover the tax dues from the defaulters on behalf of India. 

Stay up to date on all the latest Business news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp