Income Tax Returns: Here's what will happen if you submit fake rent receipts

If, in a year, you pay more than Rs 1 lakh as rent, then you should submit your landlord's PAN number also along with the rent receipt at the time of filing returns. 

Published: 30th July 2019 03:54 PM  |   Last Updated: 31st July 2019 03:15 PM   |  A+A-

For representational purposes.

Online Desk

According to the Income Tax Act, 1961, everyone is eligible for House Rent Allowance (HRA) provided by your employers. HRA helps in the reduction of tax liability. However, many salaried people toy with the idea of submitting fake rent receipts, in order to avail this exemption, despite living in own homes. 

In case you plan to do this while filing your income tax returns for the assessment year 2019-20, keep in mind that this amounts to tax evasion, which is a punishable offence. 

ALSO READ: Beware! You may end up paying more if you wait until August 31 to file it

If, in a year, you pay more than Rs 1 lakh as rent, you should submit your landlord's PAN number also along with the rent receipt at the time of filing returns. 

With the help of technological advancements, the Income-tax department is now keeping a close tab and will immediately issue a legal notice demanding proofs for the claimed deduction whenever they spot something fishy. 

If you fail to submit any proof, then the taxmen will disallow the claimed exemption. But if the I-T department finds your claims to be fake, it will result in penalties for misreporting or under-reporting of income.

ALSO READ: Want to file income tax returns online by yourself ? Here's a quick guide

According to Section 270A of the Income Tax-Act 1961, the taxmen can levy 50 per cent penalty, if income has been under-reported. However, if under-reporting of income is a result of misreporting of income, a 200 per cent penalty can be levied.

Hence, if you wilfully produce fake bills to misreport your income, you will have to face a 200 per cent penalty, in addition to which, you will have to pay interest under sections 234A, 234B and 234C of the Income-Tax Act 1961.

As of now, there is no law in India that prevents a person from staying in their parents/relatives house for rent, but it is mandatory to have proper documents to support your claims.

Stay up to date on all the latest Business news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

  • Nag

    Land lord's are not giving rent receipts.
    9 months ago reply
  • SlaVeofIndia

    You will be hounded to death by IT department.
    9 months ago reply
  • Suresh

    What if the landlord doesn't declare the correct rental income in his returns ?
    9 months ago reply
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp