BANGALORE: A mother and her six-month-old son were burnt alive after a fire broke out following an electric short circuit on Friday morning. The incident took place at their house in KSRTC Layout near Ragigudda slum in J P Nagar police station limits. The deceased have been identified as Hafeeza Nisha (21) and her son Tahir. They hailed from Palmaner, Andhra Pradesh. Nisha’s husband Shaikh Hussein alias Babu, a painter, had gone for work when the incident took place.
According to the police, Nisha was boiling milk on an electric stove and it spilled over the stove resulting in an electric short circuit. As two cans of kerosene were kept next to the stove, they exploded and the fire broke out. The mother and son, who were inside the house, were burnt alive and some household items were gutted in the fire.
“Almost all neighbours had gone out for work and someone noticed smoke billowing from the house and informed the police. By the time a fire tender reached the spot, the duo had died. However, the fire was put off and the bodies were sent to Victoria Hospital,” the police explained.
Meanwhile, the police have ruled out the chances of suicide. “Some of the neighbours have informed that the couple were very cordial. We are expecting Nisha’s parents to get more information on them,” they added.
Power Connection Illegal?
Around 300 families are staying in the area and it is alleged that they have got illegal connection from a nearby electric wire. BESCOM officials who visited the spot said that they were contemplating to register an FIR about electricity theft. They cut down power supply to the area following the incident. Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) of West Division Pronob Mohanty and other senior police officials visited the spot.