BANGALORE: Twenty nine students of Vinayaka Higher and Primary School in Cubbonpet in the city took ill on Thursday after allegedly consuming toffees distributed by a student on his birthday. The fifth and sixth standard students of the school were rushed to Vani Vilas Hospital. Reportedly, soon after consuming the toffees, they started vomiting and complained of nausea, giddiness, throat infection and stomach pain. Police said that all the students recovered soon after the treatment, but were kept in the hospital till evening for observation.
C V Jayalakshmi, headmistress of the school, said 29 out of the total 30 students consumed the toffees. “Teachers also had it, but only a few students fell ill and started complaining. They were immediately shifted to hospital,” she said.
It is said that Aniketh, the birthday boy, had purchased the toffees from a local provision store. After this incident, the school authorities banned distribution of sweets or toffees by students. Three students Vinod, Sourav and Chandan, who were under observation, said, “We were writing unit test at 10 am and consumed toffees, which had melted. After eating the chocolate our classmate Chetana vomited first and many students did the same later.”
Parents complained that the school staff informed them that their wards were hospitalised but did not divulge much details.
“They did not tell me why the children were hospitalised. I was very scared and rushed to the hospital. Thankfully the condition was not serious,” said Rajeshwari, a parent.