BANGALORE: An engineering student sustained several injuries in an accidental fire that broke out at his hostel’s bathroom in Chikkajala recently. The victim Azmal, 17, a native of Kerala, is a student of Aeronautical Engineering at Shah Shib Engineering College in Chikkaballapur.
According to police, the incident took place on March 22, at around 10 pm when Azmal was in the bathroom. Unidentified students allegedly in an attempt to rag him, poured thinner on him.
Police suspect since Azmal was a smoker, he might have thrown cigarette into the thinner, which might have caught fire. Reportedly, students at the hostel used thinner to wash clothes and stored it in the bathroom.
Also, police said miscreants had poured thinner intentionally to hurt Azmal.
Meanwhile, Abdul Fatha, victim’s uncle said they were trying to take Azmal’s transfer from that college, as he had recently complained of ragging.
He had allegedly taken a gold chain from his mother to pay the senior students who had threatened to kill him if he did not give them money. He had given Rs 20,000 to them in December, last year.
Azmal is now being treated at Victoria Hospital, where he stated that when the incident took place two unidentified students fled from the spot. An attempt to murder case has been registered at Chikkajala police station and police are trying to trace the identity of the senior students.