A 24-year-old woman died of burn injuries and her husband sustained severe injuries after a kerosene stove exploded at Garudacharpalya in Mahadevapura police station limits on Sunday.
The deceased, Nagaveni, was a house keeping staff at a shopping mall in Mahadevapura and her husband Yogesh works at a garment factory.
According to the police, the incident took place at evening after she returned home.
It is said that Nagaveni’s son and her mother had gone to buy some groceries when the incident took place. After preparing the kerosene stove, she attempted to light it.
As there was no power in the house, she asked her husband to bring matchsticks. The kerosene had spilled from the stove and had spread in the kitchen. As it was dark, Nagaveni did not notice it and Yogesh, who returned home, lighted a candle and gave it to her. The stove exploded when she tried to pump it, the police said.Yogesh, after noticing that his wife had caught fire, tried to save her and he sustained burns. The neighbours who noticed the incident shifted them to a hospital, where she succumbed, police said.