As kids, we all loved comic books and some of us still do. Lost in the world of caricatures and vivid colours, we would often depend on comic books to escape from our problems. Over the years, several festivals have tried to emulate that surreal experience we all go through with our favourite characters.
Unlike the olden days, the trend of comic art has now picked up pace in India. We have entered an era of exploration and celebration of art.
Keeping this in mind, Comic Con India will hold its travelling version of the national Indian Comics Convention, Comic Con Express in the city today and tomorrow at Koramangala Stadium.
We list out a few books that will be launched at the event.
* Aghori: An ordinary man - thrust into extraordinary circumstances. A father torn from his family, a simple man caught in a struggle of good and evil. Vikram Roy’s life is turned into a living hell, over the course of a single fateful night. But, born of the fire and ash, is a man who refuses to lie down and die. Not while he has questions that need answering - not while he has someone to protect. In his desperation Vikram Roy turns to an unusual education for answers and twelve years on, returns to his world changed - as Vira, the Aghori.
Now, he wanders the dark places where nightmares linger, searching for the one thing he loves, the one thing he must protect - at all costs.
* Batu Gaiden: After the last great war between the three prime races of Humans, Vanars and Rakshasas, the kings of the three races decided to sign a treaty and replace warfare with the game of the gods: Kree Kaht. They decided that in future, there would be no pointless loss of lives, instead all disputes and territorial annexations would be contested in the playing field with each kingdom sending their Kree Kaht team to represent their cause.
From the sleepy village of Dharampur comes a young and promising Dandavik (Kree Kaht player)named Batu, and this story is about his singular quest to become the greatest Dandavik in all of Bhumi. His enemies will be many, his trials legion, his origins forever shrouded in mystery.
* Kurukshetra Yuddha: First part of the trilogy, this is re-telling of the great war of Mahabharata, with focus on the battle, the strategies, vyuhas, warriors who came from distant lands, legends and most importantly the young warriors, the sons of the kings and other heroes.
* Pandavas 5, 5 editions of comic: Anime inspired P5 Comics elaborate the story of Kuru regime and is in search of their next prince. The story of P5 revolves around the adventures of five charming and uniquely talented Pandavas and their journey from rigorous training at Dronacharya’s hermitage to winning spectacularly at a competition held in the city of Panchal.
* Shiva — The Legends of the Immortal-Book II: After the huge success of Shiva - The Legends of the Immortal Book I (Graphic Novel) Vimanika Comics presents its sequel Shiva - The Legends of the Immortal Book II. The sequel promises to match and perhaps exceed the success of the first graphic novel of the Shiva series. Buoyed by the success of the Book I, team Vimanika has crafted this story in a first person narrative with Lord Shiva acting as the narrator. The sequel picks up from the point where the first story ends. Lord Shiva has turned into a Aghori(Nomad) and is grieving for his beloved Sati.
Sensing an opportunity to prolong his reign, a tyrant Asura(Demon) called Tarkasur seeks a boon from Lord Brahma that he might be killed only by the son of Shiva. Tarkasur then ushers a reign of terror and oppression destroying Vedic culture. He conquers the three Lokas and the Devas are forced to live in exile. Lord Vishnu assures the Devas that Maa Jagdambe will take a reincarnation in the form of Parvati. Shiva - The Legend of Immortals II, dwells extensively on a love story of Lord Shiva and Parvati and the interesting incidents of their marriage.