A major fire broke out in Chamundi Motors Service Centre located in a two-storey commercial complex in Katharakanahalli in H B R Layout on Sunday evening. No causalities were reported in the incident. Fifteen fire tenders were pressed into service and it took four-and-half hours for fire services personnel to completely douse the fire.
The Fire Department officials said that the incident occurred around 5 pm. The fire broke out on the first floor of the godown due to a short circuit in the UPS, the police said. Neighbours, who noticed heavy smoke from the building, alerted the fire personnel.
About 10 new goods autos and 15 three-wheelers parked for service were damaged. It is estimated that goods worth `20 lakh were destroyed, the police added.
The fire tenders had to tackle fire from all sides, due to the fear of oil cans, which were stocked inside the building. About 600 litres of oil, batteries and other materials were completely charred.
The first and second floors were severely damaged, while the building’s walls and other portions collapsed when the building’s beams melted due to intense heat.
Surendra, who alerted the fire department officials, told Express, “My eight year-old daughter was playing near the service centre as it was closed. She noticed the fire and came home screaming. I went to the terrace and saw fumes from the service centre and called the fire station. They took 15 minutes to reach the spot. Some of the locals managed to rescue a few three-wheelers on the building premises.”
The building neither had fire-fighting equipment nor a no-Objection certificate from the department.