Seven workers of Fiber Box Pvt Ltd were rescued by locals when an accidental fire broke out in the factory at Bommanahalli on Hosur Road on Friday. Five fire tenders were pressed into service and after an operation that lasted for about three-and-a-half hours, the fire was doused.
According to Fire Department officials, the fire broke out on the first floor of the three-storey building at NGR Layout around 1.15 pm.
On noticing the fire spread, locals brought a crane and rescued seven workers trapped on the third floor before fire personnel reached the spot. More than 80 factory staff who were in the building managed to run to safety. A Fire Department official said the building neither had fire-fighting equipment nor a No-Objection Certificate from the department. A chemical reaction is suspected to have caused the fire. Bommanahalli police are investigating the case.