Two men, under the influence of alcohol, died in freak accidents on Monday night.
Lakshman, a 45-year-old alcoholic, fell from the terrace of his house at around 9.30 pm. According to Jagjivanramnagar police, Lakshman was depressed and took to alcohol after his wife left him two years ago and his 22-year-old son committed suicide a year ago.
“He drinks every day at his home in Binnypet, where he has been living for over four years. After drinking on Monday night, he went to the terrace from where he slipped and fell. He died on the way to the hospital,” a police official said.
In another incident, a 55-year-old man was burnt to death after his house caught fire.
Jalahalli police believe that Babu had passed out after drinking, with a lit cigarette in his hand. “He lived in a pathetic condition with food, clothes and papers strewn everywhere in his one-room home. On Monday night, after finishing work at a hotel, Babu returned home and in his inebriated state, passed out,” police said.
Late at night, neighbours noticed smoke coming out of the room and realised it was on fire.
Once the fire was doused, Babu’s body was found. Cases of unnatural death have been filed.