Four members of a family, including two children, were injured when an LPG cylinder leak resulted in an explosion at K P Agrahara early on Tuesday morning.
According to the police, H P Pandey, 40, a condiment manufacturer, woke up to a foul smell at 2.30 am at his house. His shop is located on the ground floor of the house. He realised that the cylinder kept in the kitchen was leaking and switched on the lights to fix the problem. However, a spark from the switch triggered the blast.
His family members, who were sleeping in an adjacent room, sustained minor injuries in the incident. Neighbours rushed to the spot as soon as they heard the blast sound. They got the family members out of the house before the fire could spread.
Pandey, who sustained severe burn injuries, has been admitted to Victoria Hospital. His family members have been discharged after treatment.
The police said that a major disaster in the area was averted as the the fire was controlled at the right time.
“Many residents are involved in such activities. They have kitchen on the ground floor and the family resides on the first floor,” they said.
Transformer Blast: Injured Man Dies
An assistant manager of a private hospital, who suffered burns in a transformer blast, succumbed to injuries on Tuesday morning. Narayana Nayak, a resident of Marathahalli, is the deceased.
On March 28, four bikers including Nayak sustained severe burns when the transformer near the BMTC depot in Koramangala 6th Block burst and boiling oil fell on them. The explosion is suspected to have been caused by an internal fault in the transformer windings, resulting in heating of the oil.
Locals blamed BESCOM officials’ negligence for the incident, claiming that complaints about frequent sparks from the transformer were ignored.
BESCOM on Tuesday announced an immediate compensation of `3,02,000 for Nayak’s family apart from bearing medical expenses amounting to `1,25.000. BESCOM 0fficials were also present at Nayak’s funeral.