BENGALURU: A pair of twins died on Friday, a day after they were administered polio drops. Their parents are now holding staff at a BBMP hospital responsible.
Disha and Saanvi, four-month-old daughters of Lunesh and Latha, were given the drops at a hospital in Bapujinagar on Thursday. The family lives in Girinagar. Lunesh, who runs a glass factory, told Express his wife Latha had taken the girls to the hospital in the afternoon.
On Friday, around 11.20 am, Latha noticed a white liquid oozing out of the mouths of the children. Soon, they became unconscious. “Scared, Latha alerted me. I rushed home from the factory and took the children to a private hospital, where they died. My wife can identify the staff who gave the polio drops,” he said. Latha is in shock. A senior policeman said the bodies had been sent for post-mortem to Kempegowda Hospital. “Doctors will help us ascertain the exact cause. We are yet to question the hospital staff,” he said.
Health Minister U T Khader is not sure why the children died. “Several infants are given polio drops every day. How can only two children be affected?” he said. Khader said he had sought a departmental inquiry, and was awaiting post-mortem reports.
The girls were doing well since birth but fell sick because of the drops, the couple allege.