LED bulb stuck in toddler’s wind pipe removed after surgery

A 10-month-old baby girl swallowed an LED bulb and was brought to Columbia Asia Referral Hospital, Yeshwantpur, at 10 pm on Saturday after having breathing trouble.

Published: 01st November 2016 05:15 AM  |   Last Updated: 01st November 2016 05:15 AM   |  A+A-

By Express News Service

BENGALURU: A 10-month-old baby girl swallowed an LED bulb and was brought to Columbia Asia Referral Hospital, Yeshwantpur, at 10 pm on Saturday after having breathing trouble.

When the child’s mother saw her swallowing the bulb, she tried to remove it but unfortunately failed. The bulb with its two metallic sharp electrodes that were about 5cm long caused breathing problems.

A chest X-ray revealed a metallic foreign body in her trachea (wind pipe) that extended into the right main bronchus. The child was immediately shifted to the operation theatre for emergency bronchoscopy. The baby was discharged on Sunday morning after the bulb was removed.

“Generally, when anything is swallowed, it goes to the food pipe and then to the stomach. But here, it went to the wind pipe and blocked the right lung. When a foreign body goes to the wind pipe, it can lead to death,” said Dr Sai Prasad T R, senior consultant, paediatric surgery, Columbia Asia Hospital.

Avoid giving nuts (peanuts, cashew, pista) and similar hard eatables to children less than six years of age as they may aspirate and choke, he added.

Stay up to date on all the latest Bengaluru news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp