Bengaluru horror: Deceased child was still breathing, gave her water, says witness

Building owner’s son says he rushed to girl’s help after the first fall, but the mother took her away and flung her off the building again.

Published: 28th August 2017 09:43 AM  |   Last Updated: 28th August 2017 01:31 PM   |  A+A-

Murder Generic-File Photo

Image used for representational purpose.

Express News Service

BENGALURU: “I was watching a film on my laptop along with my brother and heard the sound of someone falling. I rushed to see what fell down and found Shreya and noticed that she was bleeding from her ear. I asked my brother to bring water and poured it in her mouth as she was still breathing.

Soon, her mother came down and took her back. I thought that the girl fell accidentally and that Swathi would take to the hospital. So, I did not speak to her and just stood outside the building. However, the child was thrown off the building for a second time. It was then that I realised that her mother was behind her death,” Balaji, who claimed to be an eyewitness told Express.

Balaji, the elder son of building owner Venkatesh, added that the girl’s head crashed into the sheet of a neighbouring shed before she hit the ground. “I immediately called an ambulance and the residents rushed to see what happened. She began arguing with them.

She said that she was the mother of the girl and had the right to push her off the building. Thereafter, she was tied to an electrical pole and beaten up by the locals. Hoysala staff reached the spot and took her to the police station,” he said.

(Clockwise from left) The building where Swathi and Shreya lived; (circled) the broken asbestos sheet of a house which Shreya banged into; building owner Venkatesh at his house at Jaraganahalli in Bengaluru on Sunday | S Manjunath

Venkatesh, the house owner told Express that the couple had rented the house nine years ago.

Swathi, who is a graduate had been working as a teacher at a private school for a couple of years. She stopped going to work and about a year ago.

“Moreover, I noticed that Kanchan Sarkar’s (Swathi’s husband) car had not been seen near the house. I questioned him as to why he was not coming to the house. He said that he had been living near his office. He was paying me the rent regularly. Since Swathi had no issues with neighbours, I did not bother to check what trouble the couple had been having. She was also finding it difficult to take care of her daughter,” he said.

“I heard that a few months ago the couple had quarrelled over the admission of their daughter in a special school. The husband did not show any interest and she was very upset about it. The girl was heard screaming. She was also not allowed to play with other children. A couple of times, Swathi had complained about her daughter who troubled her over food and other small things. Apart from this, I did not find anything abnormal about the mother,” Venkatesh added.

Police said that Kanchan Sarkar was called to the police station where he said that he felt harassed by Swathi, so he had decided to live separately.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp