Opt for pacemaker if your doctor advises so

Published: 02nd March 2017 04:58 AM  |   Last Updated: 02nd March 2017 04:58 AM   |  A+A-

By Express News Service

BENGALURU: Dear Sir, I am 93 plus. I had undergone two angioplasties. I take regular medicines for BP, Diabetes and Cholesterol. It is under control. Recently when I went for a regular check up the cardiologist advised me to go for an implantation of a Pace maker. Is it advisable to go for it at this age and will there being any risk involved? Kindly advice.


Heart rate disorder needing a pacemaker is a commonly seen in elderly, usually in the ones over 60s and 70s.  Pacemaker is advisable at this age if your cardiologist feels so. It is generally a low risk procedure with less than 2-4 per cent risk, but sometimes complications may be critical.

In rare cases, there can be complications including loss of capture, cardiac perforation, hematoma or infections. In general, such cases occur only if there are any additional disorders in the body. Otherwise, implantation can be safely advisable if required.


I am 18-years-old athlete. About a year ago, I started experiencing palpitations and chest pain. I have seen three cardiologists and all the tests have been normal. However, I am observing that my toes become purple, numb and very cold and my heart rate increases with minimal activity. I also have a past medical history of Goldenhar syndrome. Please suggest what should I do?


Goldenhar syndrome is a rare congenital defect. However, it may not have anything to do with your current symptoms. Certain tests like Holster can be done to tape the records of the heart activity. It will help to check the cause of arrhythmia. You may need test to scale out occurrence of polycythemia. These occur when there is excessive production of red blood cells in the body. The tests may also help you with diagnosing any other disorder leading to the symptoms. 


I am 23-years-old female. Every morning I have been experiencing a piercing pain on my chest for about a week now. I am a smoker too and slightly overweight, is the chest pain something to worry about?

The pain in your case seems non-cardiac. It may occur due to muscular pains. It can also be the result of existing acidity. Medications like omeprazole capsules and proper intake of water can help. If the pain continues, an ECG or Echo is advisable. Smoking is very harmful for cardiac activities and must be stopped or reduced soon to avoid further complications.


My grandfather is 85 years old suffered a heart attack two weeks ago. Should he get an angioplasty or bypass?

For the above mentioned case, it is advisable to first get angiogram done and then decide on the surgeries or angioplasty.

The expert is an Interventional Cardiologist from Fortis Hospital.

For queries write to health.cityexpress@gmail.com


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp