STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Oldest public libraries in the city

These five libraries have stood the test of time, enlightening passionate learners

Published: 21st March 2017 10:07 PM  |   Last Updated: 22nd March 2017 07:39 AM   |  A+A-

By Express News Service

The Mythic Society Library
The library of the Mythic Society with over 40,000 books and several current journals and back volumes is one of the well stocked and well managed libraries in the city. Founded in 1909, it has been enriched with continuous addition of books and journals over the last 100 years. The library also has a collection of old Sanskrit and Kannada manuscripts, historical documents in Kannada, Marathi and Persian, and a few contemporary paintings.

 State Central Library

Also known as 'People's University', it boasts of a collection of over 3 lakh books. Established in 1915 and housed in the Seshadri Iyer Memorial Building at Cubbon Park, the library is one of the most important and largest reference libraries in India including some 6,000 old and rare volumes and periodicals.

Gokhale 
Institute of Public 
Affairs Library
The Institute in the present form was thus born on 18th February 1945. However, as the needed building was not available, it was only on 2nd July 1946 that the first lecture was arranged after securing a building.

That meeting was addressed by Hrudayanath Kunzru, then president of the Servants of India Society. The Study Circle was started on 15th December 1947 and the first book taken up for study was John Stuart Mill's On Liberty, Since then many classics in English, Samskrit and Kannada have been studied.

 

The Indian Institute 
of World Culture
It was founded on 11 August 1945 in the suburb of Basavanagudi and owes its existence to the foresight, vision and sacrifice of its founder, B. P. Wadia and his spouse, Sophia Wadia. The prime object of the Institute is to foster the growth of a truly cosmopolitan spirit among citizens of all nations. 

The United Theological College
It is situated behind the Cantonment Railway Station, Miller’s Road and was inaugurated in July 1910 under the name, The United Theological College of South India and Ceylon, as 'a Christian College where students may obtain a sound theological education'. It was established through the co-operation of the London Missionary Society, the Wesleyan Methodist Missionary Society, The United Free Church of Scotland, among others.

Stay up to date on all the latest Bengaluru news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp