Bengaluru road rage victim made desperate pleas for help, but none came forward

Mishra, a software engineer who was working with Accenture, was finally cornered by the two men who were chasing him and stabbed to death.

Published: 13th October 2017 12:49 AM  |   Last Updated: 13th October 2017 10:45 AM   |  A+A-

For representational purposes

Express News Service

BENGALURU: The 28-year-old techie, who died in a road rage incident in Tavarekere in south-east Bengaluru in the pre-dawn hours of Monday had shouted for help, but to no avail police said.  

In a bid to evade his attackers Pranay Mishra took a detour to his friend's house. But neither the security guards of the building where his friend lives nor other residents of the locality responded to his cries for help. 

Mishra, a software engineer who was working with Accenture, was finally cornered by the two men who were chasing him and stabbed him to death.

These details emerged during police investigation and interrogation of one of the two killers, Karthik. The other accused Arun is absconding. Both Arun and Karthik are rowdy-sheeters in Bengaluru's Madivala locality.

During the investigation, it was revealed that a few residents of the locality woke up when Pranay started shouting for help. But they did not respond.

Detailing the sequence of events, police said, "Pranay was heading to his girlfriend's house when at around 3.30 am his bike collided with another in which his killers -- Karthik and Arun -- were travelling. The duo picked up a fight and demanded Rs 500 to get their vehicle repaired. Both were under the influence of alcohol. Pranay rejected their demand and left the spot."

According to police, the duo then began chasing Pranay. Sensing danger, he diverted from the main road and went to the narrow street where his friend lives. 

The building was guarded by security guards and its front portion was covered by iron grilles. Pranay tried to wake up the security. When that failed, he approached neighbouring houses and shouted for help. 

But none came to his rescue. By then, Karthik and Arun cornered him, stabbed him to death and fled the spot. It was then that a few residents in the locality came out.

Around that time, Pranay's girlfriend, who was waiting for him, called him. That's when the locals received the call on Pranay's mobile and informed her about the incident. She then informed a friend who rushed to the spot. By then police had arrived and taken Pranay to a hospital. But he was declared brought dead.

Investigating officials said that Pranay had taken the main road or got help in time, he would have survived.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp