STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

3-yr-old can eat solids once more, thanks to city docs

A three-year-old boy from Iraq who was unable to eat solid food for a year because of complications that arose from a congenital heart disease, was chewing on a toffee as he left the city.

Published: 05th September 2017 11:32 PM  |   Last Updated: 06th September 2017 11:50 AM   |  A+A-

Express News Service

BENGALURU: A three-year-old boy from Iraq who was unable to eat solid food for a year because of complications that arose from a congenital heart disease, was chewing on a toffee as he left the city. Saami Abadi (name changed) was brought to Bengaluru for surgery after several countries were unable to treat him of his rare medical condition - which is known as hypoplastic left heart syndrome - that became even more complicated when his wind pipe and food pipe got intertwined, resulting in him choking.

The three-yearold Iraqi boywith his father

The doctors could not figure on how it happened, but they say that his initial two surgeries that required a tube insertion, caused this problem. In Iraq, when he was two-years-old, a hole was drilled in his stomach to place a gastronomy and jejunostomy tube for nutritional purposes. In Lebanon, a esophageal covered stent was inserted, but all these tubes caused further complications and had to be removed. The child’s parents are both surgeons, and their relatives recommended bringing him to India.

However, before heading to Bengaluru, his parents approached hospitals throughout the country, and most were reluctant to take up this highly complicated case. Dr C Ramachandra, a senior consultant and HOD of paediatric surgery, institute of women and child health at Sakra World Hospital, was told about this case by a mutual acquaintance. It took one and a half months for him and his team to understand the nature of the case, after which they decided to take it up.

“When he was brought to me, I saw that he was suffering from aspiration pneumonia, a lung infection because of inhaling food, liquid and vomit,” says Dr Ramachandra. “He was stabilized with a chest physiotherapy that removed the mucus from his breathing passage, making his breathing easier,” shares the doctor. An intense eight-hour surgery was done on July 5, where the wind and food pipes was separated.

There was an esophageal leak after the surgery, but doctors say that settled on its own. His food pipe is narrower because of the surgery, so doctors inserted a biliary stent to avoid the muscles from getting attached. On July 8, he was discharged, and he went back home to Iraq “stronger and happy, chewing a toffee”. He will be back in about three months for his follow up checkups.

Stay up to date on all the latest Bengaluru news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp