STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Bengaluru: Birthday celebrations turn tragic as two boys consume liquid cyanide thinking it to be water

The duo was playing atop the house while family members were preparing for the guests to arrive at the party when the weary boys found what they thought was water in a bottle in the room and drank it.

Published: 28th September 2017 01:28 PM  |   Last Updated: 29th September 2017 11:37 AM   |  A+A-

Manish Sanjay Singh (left) and Sahil Shankar, the boys who succumbed after accidentally consuming potassium cyanide, in Bengaluru. (EPS)

By Express News Service

BENGALURU: A birthday celebration turned tragic after two boys, including the birthday boy, consumed toxic potassium cyanide in liquid form mistaking it for water on Wednesday night.

The boys, aged 8 and 9, were rushed to a hospital, where they were declared dead.

The incident occurred at the residence of Shankar Khashid, a jeweller, on Killari Road, near Avenue Road. Shankar's only son Saahil had turned eight on Wednesday and the family invited the boy's friends over for a birthday party.

As the cake was to be cut at 9 pm and children in the neighbourhood were still arriving, Saahil and his schoolmate Manish Sanjay Singh, 9, went up around 7.30 pm to play. The family resides on the fifth floor of the seven-floor building. The top floor is used by Shankar as a workshop to clean old jewellery.

Narrating the incident, Sambaji, younger brother of Shankar, said, “The boys came down vomiting. My sister-in-law was shocked. The boys said they drank some water in the workshop. Immediately she realised something had gone wrong and called the neighbours. The boys were rushed to Martha’s Hospital, where they were declared dead."

Shankar was away in Srirampuram for some work at the time of the incident.

The couple, hailing from Pandharpur in Maharashtra, has been residing in Bengaluru for 15 years. They have a daughter, who is older to Saahil.

A complaint was lodged with the K R Market Police station and the bodies were sent for a post-mortem procedure to Victoria Hospital at around 11 pm on Wednesday. Speaking to New Indian Express, police said the chemical ingested by the boys appeared to be liquid cyanide, which is used by jewellers to polish gold.

“It can be confirmed only after forensic tests,” said a police officer.

Police sources said the boys had no external injuries.

Stay up to date on all the latest Bengaluru news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp