Karnataka’s industrial tribunal headless for last 5 months

Not even one case has been heard here all these months; presiding officer at Hyderabad tribunal has additional charge.

Published: 03rd April 2018 05:29 AM  |   Last Updated: 03rd April 2018 05:29 AM   |  A+A-

Express News Service

BENGALURU: Not a single hearing has been conducted for the last five months at the only Central Government Industrial Tribunal (CGIT)-cum-Labour Court for the state. With the Centre deciding to permit all Employees Provident Fund (EPF) related cases also to be heard here, justice is getting delayed to both the employers and employees now.

Based at Goraguntepalya inside the Labour Commissioner’s office, the previous incumbent Justice V S Ravi was posted at the Army Tribunal, Mumbai, on October 31, 2017 and relieved with immediate effect. Hence, from November 1, there is no presiding officer at the CGIT, but the presiding officer at the Hyderabad Tribunal has been given additional charge.

Owing to heavy workload there, not a single hearing has been held in Bengaluru so far.High Court advocate V S Naik, who also practices at the CJIT, specifies that 580 cases are pending before the tribunal. “In addition, another 40 cases that are waiting to be filed here have not been done,” he says.

The Indian Law Practitioners Forum has filed a writ petition in the High Court calling for the posting of a presiding officer at the CGIT and the hearing is to be held next week, Naik said. Cases pertaining to sectors covered under the Industrial Establishments Act like airlines, and mines, and public sector industries like HMT, BHEL, BEML are heard here. This is also the forum to hear cases pertaining to dismissal or termination of services of employees as well as cases filed by unions of various organisations.
By a notification issued on May 26, 2017, the Centre directed that all cases pertaining to EPF will be heard at the CGIT-cum-labour courts located at 22 places in the country.

“This shifting of PF cases inside each state offered a big relief as the earlier need to travel to New Delhi to attend the hearings by both parties can be avoided now,” the advocate said.Meanwhile, a source inside the State Labour Commission office said steps to fill the vacant post of presiding officer have already commenced.  “Advertisement has already been called for. It is a long process and it will take many months before the post is filled.”The Ministry of Labour and Employment on June 1, 2017, issued a notification to the registrar general of all High Courts calling for the vacancy to be filled.  

Stay up to date on all the latest Bengaluru news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp