Bengaluru rowdy-sheeter held after attack on cops, two constables injured

Even after warning shots were fired, Nirmal and gang assaulted Abdul Rehaman and also stabbed constable Kumar in his hand.

Published: 29th March 2018 03:27 AM  |   Last Updated: 29th March 2018 03:27 AM   |  A+A-

arrest, handcuff

Image used for representational purpose

By Express News Service

BENGALURU: A rowdy-sheeter was shot at and nabbed after he allegedly attacked policemen who were trying to nab him. The incident took place at Lingayat cemetery near Jinke Park in Chamarajpet police station limits in the early hours of Wednesday. Nirmal alias Roopesh (36), a rowdy-sheeter and a resident of Jaibheem Nagar in Cottonpet, sustained bullet injuries in his left leg and is undergoing treatment at a hospital. Two head constables — Abdul Rehaman attached to Chamarajpet station and Kumar of Cottonpet station — also sustained injuries in the incident when Nirmal attacked them to resist arrest.


The police said Nirmal, who was allegedly involved in more than three cases, including cases of murder and attempt to murder and robbery, was absconding since 2014. The court had issued warrants and proclamation against him. While police were in search of him, they received information that Nirmal was conspiring along with his associates to kill rowdy-sheeter Atush of Cottonpet.

“Around 3am on Wednesday, the police got a tip-off that Nirmal and his aides were at Lingayat cemetery. The Cottonpet police and Chamarajpet police launched a joint operation to nab him. When the police reached there and warned the accused to surrender, they refused and one of Nirmal’s associates tried to attack the policemen. Even after warning shots were fired by Chamarajpet inspector Prashanth, Nirmal and gang assaulted Abdul Rehaman and also stabbed constable Kumar in his hand.

As they further tried to attack Cottonpet inspector BG Kumaraswamy, the latter fired two rounds in self defence and one bullet hit Nirmal in his left leg. His associates escaped from the scene. The two injured staff and accused were shifted to hospital,” the police said.

Sources said Nirmal was the prime accused in a murder case of Jeevananda alias Jeeva and he was in jail in that case. “After getting bail, he went absconding and did not appear before the court during the trial. There was information that he was in Tamil Nadu and managed to evade arrest. A week ago, he had returned to the city. Nirmal had joined hands with the associates of those who were killed by Atush and was planning an attack on him,” an official said.

Stay up to date on all the latest Bengaluru news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp