Four Nigerian nationals languishing in the Chengelpet Refugee Camp for more than a year began an indefinite hunger stir from Monday afternoon seeking their release.
Sources said Richard, (33), Jerry, (34), Dixon, (30), and Paul, (40), all Nigerian nationals, had made representations to the government for their release from the camp on March 28. However, no action had been taken on their representations which led to the present stir.
They had given undertakings that they will not flee the Country until their cases filed against them were disposed of.
They moved the Madras High Court seeking their release and the court passed an order to consider the representations made by the Nigerians and inform the Court on the decision taken within four weeks. A modified order to this effect was passed on June 6.
Nigerian Embassy informed the High Court that they will not issue any travel documents to the quartet pending trial.
The passports of the Nigerians were already confiscated by the Court which will release them only after the cases were disposed off.
All the four had reportedly obtained bail in the cases against them last year itself. But, they were arrested in front of the prison gate by the Q Branch Police who lodged the quartet here at Chengelpet Camp along with the Sri Lankan refugees.
Sources from the camp said that the quartet was upset since their representations were being processed at a snail pace. They even stated that they were willing to go back to prison rather than languishing in the camp without amenities.
Official sources said that their applications were being processes and the decision taken will be informed to the High Court as per the orders.