25 year old ends life, blames it on hormones

Published: 27th July 2013 10:12 AM  |   Last Updated: 27th July 2013 10:12 AM   |  A+A-

A 25-year-old man, who had been into cross-dressing for about a year, allegedly committed suicide by hanging at the factory where he worked in Vysarpadi on Friday. His colleagues said that he was upset over experiencing sudden hormonal changes, leading to development of feminine traits.

Police said Ellappan alias Shanth Kumar, a native of Thailpuram of Tindivanam, used to stay with his sister and worked at a steel factory at Vyasarpadi Industrial Estate. His colleagues said, for about an year, Ellappan used to talk and behave like a woman and loved to wear women’s clothes even though his family chided him for this. He also gradually became isolated from his colleagues as well. Ravi, his close friend, said Ellappan started to have lunch alone at work and would stay aloof from other workers.

“He told me that he was undergoing a transition, which was not corresponding to his gender,” Ravi said. Other colleagues said Ellappan confided that he was undergoing an intensive transition over the past five days due to hormonal secretions, triggering feminine traits. Sources said Ellappan was also upset as his girlfriend stopped talking to him after she learnt about his behavioural changes. 

On Friday, he excused himself to have lunch alone and could not be found anywhere in the factory. When workers went looking for him, they found a store room on the third floor locked from the inside. They forced open the door and found Ellappan hanging by wire from the ceiling.

Ellappan was taken to a private hospital, where doctors declared him dead on arrival. The body was moved to Government Stanley Hospital for post-mortem after which it was handed over to his family.

Student kills self

A class XII student in the city allegedly committed suicide by hanging after she failed in the supplementary examinations at her house in Avadi on Thursday night.

Police said Nathiya (18), daughter of Ramachandran, a casual labourer, had failed in the March board exams and later appeared for the supplementary exam. However, she did not pass. Upset over this, Nathiya locked herself in a room at her residence in Gangai Nagar in Avadi New Tank Factory on Thursday night. Her family found Nathiya hanging on Friday morning.

Her body was taken to Kilpauk Medical College Hospital for post-mortem.

Stay up to date on all the latest Chennai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp