A 47-year-old man was asphyxiated to death while cleaning a sump in a temple in Choolai, here on Tuesday afternoon.
Police said Damodaran of Kolathur, and two other workers were involved in cleaning of six sumps in Angalamman Temple in Choolai. The trio had cleaned five sumps all measuring 6 feet in depth from morning and was moving to the last sump which had water for 1 feet.
Damodaran opened the sump and lowered himself into it around 2 pm. He was exposed to the poisonous gases and collapsed. Shaken coworkers lowered themselves into the sump and brought him out.
He was immediately moved to a private hospital where the doctors declared him dead on arrival. The body was then moved to Rajiv Gandhi Government Hospital for post-mortem. A case was registered by Vepery Police under section 174 of Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC). Damodaran and his coworkers were all drunk while cleaning the sump.