Two Arrested for Murder of Elderly Chengalpattu Woman

Published: 21st August 2014 06:00 AM  |   Last Updated: 21st August 2014 04:20 AM   |  A+A-

CHENNAI: Two weeks after an elderly woman, who was living alone, was found killed in her house at Chengalpattu, the police have arrested two young persons who were working at a hotel hardly 200 feet away from the victim’s house.

S Anusya, 68, a retired head nurse of Kilpauk Medical College Hospital, was found murdered in her house at JCK Nagar at Chengalpattu on August 4 with her throat slit and about six sovereigns of gold jewellery that she was wearing missing. Amidst a series of such murders of senior citizens by robbers in Chennai city, the Kancheepuram police formed a special team to investigate the murder.

On Wednesday, the district police claimed it has achieved a breakthrough with the arrest of both the killers and recovery of the robbed jewellery.

“One of accused, Prasanth, was working in a hotel close to the victim’s house and had noticed her wearing the jewellery. As she was living alone and used to keep the main door open, they found her as a easy target,” said superintendent of police Vijayakumar.

The arrested persons were identified by the police as S Prasanth, 21, and K Tamilarasan, 25, both hailing from Ariyalur district and working in the hotel at Chengalpattu.

The murder came to light on August 4 when a few relatives of Anusya went to her house. She was found dead with her throat slit. Police said, the two accused had committed the murder on the previous night between 10.45 pm and 11 pm.

The initial suspicion fell on these two workers after police officials reviewed the CCTV camera footage in the area.

“The recordings showed two men walking in the area suspiciously, but their faces were not clear. A few locals said they noticed a man working in a biriyani shop moving near the house.

So we took a survey of young persons working in hotels in that area and found Prasanth missing for the last several days. We traced his address and found him in his native village,” said a police officer.

The police said their suspicion was confirmed when they searched his house and found the missing cellphone of Anusya there. “When we grilled him, he confessed to the crime and revealed that Tamilarasan was also involved,” said the officer.

Police said the accused told them that they first switched off the electricity connection for the house and then entered.

 “As the victim resisted their efforts, they slit her throat. The motive of the assailants was to to set up a hotel on their own for which they needed money,” the officer said.

Two accused have been remanded in judicial custody. Anusya, who was separated from her husband for several years, was living in the house belonging to his son in-law even as her son and daughters were living elsewhere.

Follow The New Indian Express channel on WhatsApp


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp