CHENNAI: A 21-year-old engineering student was electrocuted at Tambaram on Friday night, when he tried to retrieve his cellphone from a sunshade and accidentally touched a high-tension cable. Police said the student A Aravindhan was talking on his mobile, while sitting on the terrace of his relative’s house at Maulana Nagar, Tambaram, around 11.30 pm when the cellphone slipped out of his hands and fell on the sunshade.
“He climbed down to the sunshade and was trying to get the phone. He was apparently not aware of the high-tension cable nearby, due to the poor light and accidentally touched it,” said a police officer.
Aravindhan was thrown on to the ground and a few locals noticed it and alerted the electricity board. The officials disconnected the power supply to the area and rescued Aravindhan. He was admitted to the Kilpauk Medical College Hospital, where he succumbed to injuries a few hours later.