CHENNAI: Ten mongrels were poisoned in Kodambakkam, with some of them dying. The ten dogs were adopted by Sreedevi, a resident of Rangarajapuram in Kodambakkam, who found the 10 stray dogs lying unconscious outside her house.
“We usually let them go out at 4 in the morning. When I stepped out few minutes later I found a packet of biryani scattered on the ground and my dogs were falling unconscious one after another,” said Sreedevi.
Alarmed by the sight, she immediately informed Dr R Sokkalingam, a vet from the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA).
Four of the 10 dogs died before the vet, Dr R Sokkalingam and SPCA inspector Srinivas reached the spot.
“We reached their house around 5 in the morning, but by then four dogs had already died. We rushed the rest of them to Madras Veterinary College,” said Sokkalingam.
Doctors from Madras Veterinary College say that four of the six dogs that were brought to the hospital are now recovering but the other two are in a serious condition.
“The dogs have been poisoned, but we don’t know which poison was used. We suspect it could be an easily available rat poison,” said an official from the hospital.
The SPCA officials have asked the Kodambakkam police to look into the matter. “We don’t know who did this, so we have requested the police to further investigate the matter,” said Sokkalingam.
However, Sreedevi suspects a resident from her area to have done this. “A man from the neighbourhood threatened me last night saying that he would poison my dogs as they were barking at him. I suspect him,” she said.
The police, however, said that they would take further course of action depending on the medical report determining the cause of death.