STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

High-rise Violated Norms, Says Jaya

Says construction material and soil test will be done to ascertain cause; many trapped workers were from Andhra Pradesh; announces a solatium of Rs.50,000 to the injured

Published: 30th June 2014 07:23 AM  |   Last Updated: 30th June 2014 09:45 AM   |  A+A-

3

1.jpgCHENNAI: A day after the 11-storey building collapsed in the Chennai suburb of Mouliwakkam, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Sunday visited the location to oversee rescue operations.

She also visited a nearby private hospital in Porur, where a number of persons pulled out of the debris were undergoing treatment. The Chief Minister assured that a detailed inquiry would be conducted into the mishap.

Accompanied by senior officials of her administration, the Chief Minister was given an overview of the rescue operations. She dismissed reports that the rescue operations had come to a halt, saying the rumours were “mischievous and politically motivated”.

4.jpg“It appears that the builders did not adhere to the approved plans. The building seems to have had serious structural defects. My government will conduct an inquiry into this.

We will have to test samples of the construction material and also conduct soil tests to see if the site could have supported the weight of this structure,” said Jayalalithaa at the site of the mishap.

“There were a total of 72 persons inside the building at the time of the collapse. Of them, 20 were women. Many of these workers were from Andhra Pradesh and some belonged to the northern states. So far, 31 people have been pulled out of the debris. While 11 died, others are receiving the best medical care,” she added.

2.jpgThe Chief Minister later paid a visit to a private hospital in Porur, where a large number of victims were undergoing treatment.

Chief Secretary Mohan Verghese Chunkath, Government Advisor Sheela Balakrishnan, Information Secretary M Rajaram and Chennai Police Commissioner S George were among the senior officials who accompanied her.

Earlier in the day, Jayalalithaa announced that the State government would bear all expenses incurred on sending the bodies of the deceased to their hometowns. She also announced a solatium of `2 lakh to the family of each victim and `50,000 to the injured.

“I appreciate the rescue efforts of the Kancheepuram district administration, police, fire and rescue services personnel, medical staff, Public Works Department, Highways Department, Chennai Corporation, Chennai Metro Rail, National Disaster Response Force and officials of all departments. I have ordered that the debris be cleared at the earliest and all those trapped under it be given proper medical care,” the Chief Minister added.

 

Also Read:

Woman Caught in an Air-pocket Under 20 Tonnes of Rubble, Rescued after 40 Hours  



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

IPL_2020
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp