STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Aggrieved Producer Takes to Social Media Against Cine Star Sethupathi

Published: 04th November 2014 06:04 AM  |   Last Updated: 04th November 2014 06:04 AM   |  A+A-

Vijay-Sethupathi

CHENNAI : The spotless image of Soodhu Kavvum star Vijay Sethupathi took a beating when Studio 9 Production, the company that delivered some of his biggest hits, on Monday went public and put a note on its social media page saying it is quitting the industry because the actor was dodging shooting for his next film after allegedly taking a huge sum as advance.

Studio 9 claims Sethupathi took money in October last year to do a film called Vasanthakumaran, but has since been “delaying” the film by not agreeing to shoot. The firm is acclaimed for producing and distributing critically well-received films like Soodhu Kavvum, Idharkuthaane Aasaipattai Balakumara (featuring Sethupathi), Thangkameengal, 6 Miluguvathigal and Salim.

While it is common for producers and actors to settle such disputes in closed-door arbitrations arranged by film bodies, Studio 9’s R K Suresh says he is tired of the whole process. “I have tried everything, but everyone seems to support him. A few people in the Producers Council understood the pain of someone who has invested money and is paying interest for nothing, but it is not getting anywhere. That is why I put that note on our social media page and decided to quit the industry and go back to Madurai,” he said.

Suresh claims he paid Sethupathi `1 crore and also advances to technicians and the director for Vasanthakumaran. “From that time, he has been avoiding my calls and not committing to shoot. We were friendly as we believed in making quality films, which is why I am shocked that he is doing this to me. When I heard he is busy completing films for others, I met him and pushed him to begin work on my film, but Sethupathi warned me he would not give his 100 per cent if I forced him,” he said.

The actor is currently working on six films - Vanmham, Idam Porul Eval, Orange Mittai, Naanum Rowdythaan, Mellisai, and Purampokku. If Studio 9 quits now, one of the biggest casualties would be its small-budget flick Mahabalipuram, which is ready for release. “We have decided to stop all film-related work and so Mahabalipuram will not be released. I’m just thinking of cutting my losses and returning to my hotel business,” said Suresh.

When contacted, Vijay Sethupathi told Express, “I have given my explanation to the Nadigar Sangam, while Studio 9 has spoken to the Producer Council. Since I am awaiting the decision of Nadigar Sangam, I feel it would be inappropriate to comment on the issue.”



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp