Chennai Cops Turn Messengers of Good News to Faraway Kin

Published: 07th December 2015 04:39 AM  |   Last Updated: 07th December 2015 03:12 PM   |  A+A-

Cops Turn Messengers

CHENNAI:  If not for the Chennai police, the NRI son of an elderly couple living here wouldn’t have heaved a sigh of relief - he could not contact them for days ever since the rains wreaked havoc on the city. 

Soon after the SoS call landed on the network of the city police, the message was relayed to the local teams, who reached the address provided by the NRI and found the couple Selvaraj (72) and Devi (65), safe and sound at Jain Apartments, Vembuliamman Koil Street in Valasaravakkam. Their son could not reach them since their mobile phone networks were down, not to mention the enforced power outage to prevent electrocution casualties.

The police provided them essentials including milk, water, bread and other items. They took a picture with the couple, which was sent by WhatsApp to their son in California, whose joy knew no bounds upon seeing it. This is not just one incident where the City Police had stepped in to get  families connected with those stranded in the city.

The kin of Anish-ur-Rahman (60), a Bangladeshi national, who was admitted to MIOT for a knee-surgery, who were in panic after the reports of 18 deaths at MIOT due to power failure, sought the help of the City Police, who in turn, traced the patient to the same hospital and Whatsapped his image to the kin much to their relief. The Italian Embassy too sought the help of the City Police to know about two of their citizens who were visiting Babuji Ashram in Manappakkam. The duo was traced to a hotel near the airport and they left the city on Saturday.

Similarly, Nachiar aka Anandha Bhairavi, headmistress of a State-run higher secondary school in Kallanai, Tirunelveli, told ‘Express’ that she heaved a sigh of relief only after hearing from her brother Subash Kannan living in West Mambalam. “He told me that he had shifted to the Ist floor where his landlord lives, since the ground floor where he lived was inundated, on Wednesday. He could not be reached thereafter. I was worried. I sought the help of the Chennai City Police at around 6.30 pm, on Friday. Within 30 minutes, I got a call from an unknown number and was pleased to hear my brother’s wife,” she recounted as to what transpired on Friday.

Stay up to date on all the latest Chennai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp