Summer brings lots of trips, outdoor activities, sports for children and of course swimming! Although fun-filled, these activities require a lot of care, especially for the eyes for both adults and children.
Whenever you go outside in sun, don’t forget to wear UVA & UVB protective glasses (shades) along with a cap, The shades should be wide, broad and touching your face, meaning very less gap between skin and glass. Polarized glasses are very good option, as they make you very comfortable in bright sunlight, as it reduces glare.
For you are contact lens user, the following Do’s and Dont’s are strictly advised during summer:
1. Always wash your hands before wearing contact lenses
2. Avoid letting your sweat go inside your eyes
3. Never sleep with contact lenses on
Follow these very basic tips to take care of your eyes and enjoy summer with family, but don’t forget to take care of your eyes. Have great holidays with loads of fun!!!
(Dr Alpha Atul Poorabia is the head of the LASIK department at Maxivision Eye Hospital)
Summer Eye Care Tips
- While swimming please wear appropriate protective glasses, otherwise you may get infection or may irritate your eyes too much if there is no proper chlorinisation of water.
- Lots of studied have proved that exposure to UVA rays causes early cataract, Pinguacula or Pterygium
- (Conjuctival extra growth).
- Even incidences of Allergic conjunctivitis also increase during summer.
- Hence, one should always wear protective glasses as they protect you from flying dust, chemicals and particles. They also protect you from air borne diseases especially conjunctivitis ( Bacterial, Viral) which are very common in hot and humid weather
- Children participate in many outdoor and indoor sports activities during summer. They should be very careful while playing sports, as eye injuries with small ball, arrow, shuttlecock can be dangerous.