Smokers Don't Deserve to be Teachers, Says Dr Shanta

If you are a school teacher who smokes, here is a message from the chairman of Cancer Institute (WIA) Dr V Shanta: Quit teaching or quit smoking.

Published: 31st May 2015 06:00 AM  |   Last Updated: 31st May 2015 08:31 AM   |  A+A-

CHENNAI: If you are a school teacher who smokes, here is a message from the chairman of Cancer Institute (WIA) Dr V Shanta: Quit teaching or quit smoking.

Dr Shanta strongly believes that teachers who smoke, or consume tobacco in any form, set a bad example for their students.

“Smokers don’t deserve to be teachers who should be role models. Schools must ensure they have no teachers who smoke,” Dr Shanta said on Saturday while addressing media persons during an event organised by the Resource Centre for Tobacco Control, WIA, to mark World No Tobacco Day on May 31.

Shanta.jpgSpeaking to Express, Dr Shanta said WIA had embarked on a survey in Tamil Nadu to study the tobacco consumption patterns and the prevalence of cancer. “As far as I have seen, 80 per cent of people who get neck, throat and lung cancer consume tobacco. The remaining 20 per cent are those who might have genetic disorders,” she said.

Emphasizing that parents must abstain from smoking as it directly affected their children, Dr Shanta said that though several anti-tobacco measures had been announced by the government, their implementation was not up to expectation.

“In countries like Brazil, where there is better pictorial health warning on tobacco products, there has been a reduction in the consumption of tobacco,” she said, adding that pictorial warning should occupy 85 per cent of space on tobacco product packets in India.

E Vidhubala, associate professor, Cancer Institute (WIA), said even though there were stringent laws on tobacco consumption, such as a ban on smoking in public places, on promotion and sale of tobacco products near educational institutions, they weren’t enforced in full spirit. “While consuming tobacco is bad for health, smoking in public places can have serious repercussions on the people who inhale the smoke. Tea shop owners are at greater risk of contracting other diseases due to passive smoking,” said T Vellayan, president, Tamil Nadu Traders’ Union Federation.

Stay up to date on all the latest Chennai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp