CHENNAI: He consumed acid accidentally as a three-year-old and since then was having difficulty in breathing, speaking and eating. Now, after a complicated surgery by doctors at SRM Institutes of Medical Sciences Hospital, the 42-year-old businessman from Myanmar, is normal.
Thontun underwent tracheostomy, a surgical procedure to put a tube in the windpipe by making a small incision in the neck, to enable the patient to speak and. After three years, tube was removed, but Thontun had a hole in the neck, making it difficult to eat or speak. Oral examination revealed that the patient had obstruction in the vocal cord due to intubation, and it was corrected. He is now able to swallow without any effort.