Expert explains

Published: 18th June 2016 05:45 AM  |   Last Updated: 18th June 2016 05:45 AM   |  A+A-

CHENNAI: 1I met with an accident in 2000 and got an FIR registered.  Fearing that the person who collided with my vehicle is a poor man, I asked the station officer to drop the proceedings. Then I got to I know that this is required for insurance compensation. Is there any way I can get compensation? 


Forget it. Not after a delay of 16 years.


2 The press seems to get away with whatever they report, regardless of it being malicious and false and misleading the people. Is it not the duty of the press to report what IS and not what they perceive to be?


The Press Council is not empowered to impose penalties on newspapers. However, there are laws to take care of the press both under IPC as well as Civil damages for defamation.  The Supreme Court had also authorised courts to issue prior restraint against publication.


3 I’m a  Keralite settled in Tamil Nadu. I belong to the Ezhuva community, which is a listed as a Backward Class in Kerala and Tamil Nadu. I am writing an exam for Central govt. jobs. I am told that under the Centre’s list of Other Backward Classes (OBC), only Ezhuvas from KK Dist. and Tirunelveli are eligible.  Will I benefit from my local certificate?

 Krishnaprasad R

Caste certificates approved by the appropriate government alone are valid.


4 My father is the second son of my grandfather, who had four sons and two daughters. He gave most of his wealth to them, excluding my father, who was given a piece of land. My father was told about the deed only two years after the death of my grandfather. My father was living separately since 1983. Can I file a case for a just share?

 Sudharsan N

If the properties are self-earned properties of your grandfather,  you cannot do anything about it.  Further, if the grandfather has written a testament bequeathing the properties to his children in a particular way, his wishes cannot be altered.


5 I lost my husband 2010. We have a large property in Velachery. My late husband had 52% and his brother had 48% share. My late husband had made a deal with a Bombay party for the land few years ago. But now, my brother in law is demanding the present rate, which is much higher. The case is still going on and has now come for arbitration. Please advise. My second problem is that in my hometown Cumbum, my husband had written all the properties in my name. His brothers went to court, but the verdict was in my my favour. But my room was broken into and the last brother in law lived there. They denied me entry to that house after I become a widow.

 Roshan Firdouse

You will have to argue before the arbitrators for your cause. As far as entering the house at Cumbum, you may move the local magistrate for a right of entry.


6 I am 76 years old. My wife died intestate in March  2016. She has a fully owned residential apartment in a gated community at Kodaikanal. I got a death certificate from Chennai Corporation and legal heirship certificate from the Tahsildar. According to the certificate, myself and our only child (son) are the legal heirs. I propose to relinquish my share in the property in favour of our son.

 G Ranga Rao  


Registration of the property at Kodaikanal will cost you dearly. Even without registration, as per Hindu Succession Law, the property will devolve upon your only son. If you want to satisfy yourself, you can write a will in favour of your son and get it registered at Chennai, which will cost you very little.


Stay up to date on all the latest Chennai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp