Expert Explains

Published: 19th March 2016 04:33 AM  |   Last Updated: 19th March 2016 04:33 AM   |  A+A-

1 If the educational institute from which one graduated closes down after some years, are the degree certificates still valid?

T S Karthik

Except in case of deemed universities, the degree certificates are given by respective universities to which the colleges are affiliated to. Hence, even if the college is subsequently closed, the degree certified by the university is valid for all purposes unless it is found to be fake.


2 I joined a PSU in 1987 as Accounts Officer and was subsequently promoted as Deputy Manager and Chief Manager. When I was about to be promoted as a DGM, due to a false complaint I was denied promotion and my name was kept in sealed cover. My colleagues with similar experience have been subsequently promoted and they enjoyed the perks attached to the post. My promotion was given later but I missed the chance of getting the benefits retrospectively. Do I have any legal right? ?


B Rajaraman

If your PSU adopts sealed cover procedure and if your name was found eligible for promotion, you may get the benefits.  Otherwise, it will be difficult for getting benefits retrospectively when you had not discharged the functions of the higher post officially. Most of the case laws are against you. 


3 My father has willed his property to my name and it will come into effect after my mother, so I have not transferred the property in my name. My father passed away in Aug 2015 and I am in possession of the house along with my mother. Meanwhile, can I pay the house tax of father’s house without changing the documents?


Paying house tax does not confer any ownership. You can continue to pay in the name of your dead father. However, if you want to go by law, get the records transferred in the name of your mother and you jointly. This can be done with the help of a legal heir certificate from the local tahsildar.


4 There is a demand for arrears of Income Tax for 1978-79, a couple of days ago, amounting to around `6,000. The business wound up ten years ago and the records may or may not be in the garret. Can the demand be avoided on the ground of limitation?

Srinivasa Rajagopalan

Many have faced such strange demands from the department. There is no limitation in such matters. If you want to legally fight, you will end up spending more money than what is demanded. Best solution is to purchase peace by paying the amount.


5 My cousin who ran a software company added me as a Director of his company. Even after my resignation was sent, it was not placed before the Board. I had received a court notice for non-payment of dues towards PF and other subjects. I am an ex-bank employee living in U.S.  What should I do with the notice? 

R Ravikumar

Ask your lawyer to defend you in the court proceedings.

Stay up to date on all the latest Chennai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp