HYDERABAD: The comprehensive dossier and management plan for the Qutb Shahi monuments in Hyderabad (Golconda Fort, Qutb Shahi tombs and Charminar) has been submitted to Unesco through the Archaeological Survey of India for their recognition as World Heritage Sites.
“The dossier was sent well before the deadline of Feb 1,” Prof P Chenna Reddy, Director of State Archeology and Museums, confirmed. He also said that the State government had given the nod for constituting a committee with chief secretary as the chairman, and representatives of various other stakeholders like the GHMC, ASI, HMDA, Dept of Tourism, Horticulture Dept and others as members.
The panel is expected to meet soon to discuss among other things plans for the removal of encroachments around historical sites.
The State government had proposed the Golconda Fort, Charminar, Qutb Shahi tombs and Badushahi Ashoorkhana for Unesco’s world heritage list-2013. A three-member sub-committee, comprising Dr Amita Baig, Dr Sikha Jain and Dr Priyaleen Singh had inspected these sites last month. The panel, formed by ICOMOS (a Unesco offshoot) and the Union Ministry of Culture, had suggested that individual plans for the conservation of each historical structure be prepared along with fulfilling other criteria like removal of encroachments to get the coveted tag of a World Heritage Site.
A delegation from the Aga Khan Trust for Culture (AKTC), which has shown keen interest in undertaking beautification of the monuments, had visited them in October last and is going to pay another visit in the next few weeks to take its initiative a step further. The trust had proposed an MoU with the Archaeology Department to chalk out a programme for documentation, laying of gardens, conservation of monuments, civic amenities and involving local community under public-private partnership mode.
Speaking to City Express, Dr Shikha Jain, one of the members of the sub-committee, termed Unesco’s rules for conferment of the World Heritage tag as very rigorous. According to her, first the proposed monument will be placed in a tentative list and later, the State concerned is required to submit a dossier and management plan by Feb 1. India can submit 2 dossiers every year (1 natural site and 1 cultural site).
“But, unfortunately the track record of placing even 2 dossiers by India has not been very good. So recently (in October 2011), the Ministry of Culture formed a World Heritage Advisory Committee and our sub-committee that visited Hyderabad is part of the WHAC,” she said.