STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Hyderabad boy state topper in JEE mains with a score of 345

Published: 08th May 2013 10:04 AM  |   Last Updated: 08th May 2013 10:04 AM   |  A+A-

Results of the JEE (Main) exam 2013 for admission to NITs, IIITs and other centrally-funded institutes were declared on Tuesday.  The shortlisted 1.5 lakh candidates will sit for the JEE (Advanced) for seeking admission to the IITs. The advanced test will be held on June 2.

M. Viswa Virinchi from Hyderabad scored 345  out of 360 in the exam. The highest score was shared by two students including Virinchi. The second highest was scored by Owais Khan Mohammed who scored 341 and was the only contender for the second highest marks. Nearly 10.5 lakh students appeared for the examination in both online and off-line modes.

The results did not declare the all-India ranks of the candidates who qualified the examination. The ranks will be made available only by July 7 after the declaration of the results for the JEE-Advanced examination for admission to IITs and ISM Dhanbad.

The performance in the JEE (Mains) accounts for only 60 per cent of weightage for eligibility to appear for the JEE advanced exam. The remaining 40 per cent will be based on percentile scored in the qualifying examination. According to estimates given by corporate colleges, a student scoring 342 in the JEE (Main) with 98 per cent score in Intermediate second year would be ranked fourth in the state based on the ranking system. The all-India rank of such a candidate is likely to be 16.

All-India topper Virinchi scored 511 of 530 in Intermediate second year and opted to write JEE (Mains) in the off-line mode. “Preparations are on for him and we hope that he joins a premier IIT such as Bombay, Delhi or Kharagpur,” said Virinchi’s father M. Narendra, a corporate employee.

The student had also bagged the 16th rank in the country for Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) scholarship.

Laying to rest speculations regarding performance of students from Andhra Pradesh owing to the change in the exam pattern from the current academic year, Narayana Group of Educational Institutions founder Dr P. Narayana said nearly a quarter of selections are likely from AP in JEE advanced examination.

The students who have scored above the cut-off marks need to apply separately for JEE Advanced which will be held in the off-line mode on June 2.

The additional fee to be paid for the examination is Rs 1,800 for students in general category and Rs 900 in the SC/ST categories though female candidates have been exempted from paying the fee. The applications have to be made between May 8-13.

cut-off marks

General  113

OBC     70

SC     50

ST     45



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp