STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

30 bikes destroyed as fire breaks out at Paigah plaza

Flames engulf electricity transformer, spread to a nearby restaurant

Published: 16th May 2013 11:26 AM  |   Last Updated: 16th May 2013 11:26 AM   |  A+A-

Around 30 two-wheelers were gutted in a fire that broke out at the 11-storeyed Paigah Plaza in Adarshnagar, near  Basheerbagh, in the heart of the city on Wednesday.

The fire, that broke out around 1.45 pm, also engulfed a power transformer and  spread to a nearby restaurant. It could have snowballed into a major fire if not local people and others acted in time.

With thick smoke and flames emanating from the building, people present over there  shifted a number of two-wheelers from the parking area and the workers at the hotel  quickly removed two gas cylinders from the kitchen.

There was widespread panic as the 400-odd employees working in offices located in the building were being immediately evacuated, fearing spreading of fire to a diesel power generator adjacent to the transformer. “Initial reports suggest that it was a transformer blast. We are investigating into it,” said Sudhakar, district fire officer (central zone), adding, “there were around 100 bikes, of which 29 were totally gutted.”

The owner of one of the gutted bikes, Saidulu, a resident of Bholakpur, has been working in the accounts section of one of the offices on the 10th floor. He was more worried about claiming insurance for his one-year old Splendor Plus, for which he is  to pay EMIs for two more years. “The bike is in my father’s name, M Venkataiah. I have paid EMIs for one year and have to pay for two more years. How can I claim  insurance?” he asked.

Acting as Good Samaritans, a few of them were seen shifting the bikes away to safer places.

“We were inside and, on hearing a big sound, came out and saw bikes on fire. We started removing the bikes from the parking place. Had all the bikes caught fire, the flames would have engulfed the building too,” said Taskeen Ahmed, who works in an office on the 5th floor.

Md Hashim, who works in an office in the building, said, “When the power went off at 1.40 pm, we heard a blast-like sound from near the generator. We thought that the generator had burst but we saw the transformer on fire.”

According to some, breakdown of the particular transformer was quite frequent.

While the fire then was spreading into the adjacent Sai Prasanth Mess, the workers quickly removed the gas cylinders in the kitchen and averted a major mishap. Balaji, who works at the eatery, said, “There were only a couple of customers when the fire spread to the wash area next to the kitchen. Though we became nervous, we showed presence of mind and immediately removed two LPG cylinders that we had.” Their timely act ensured that there was no major damage to the mess.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp