'We're Not Being Ruled by Will of the People'

‘’We just live under an illusion that we are a democracy.

Published: 23rd February 2014 08:53 AM  |   Last Updated: 23rd February 2014 08:53 AM   |  A+A-

‘’We just live under an illusion that we are a democracy. A party or coalition which has 51 per cent MPs forms the government and they control all policy decisions and the remaining 49 per cent has no say in it,’’  AAP Leader Prashant Bhushan has said. He was delivering a lecture on ‘Has the time come to make our democracy more participatory?’  at the Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (IICT) here on Saturday on the occasion of 26th Annual Celebrations of PM Bhargava Foundation.

‘’We are certainly not being ruled by the will of the people. We just feel that this is a democracy because we have right to vote every five years,’’ he said.

He strongly advocated the need for replacing the system of representative democracy with participatory democracy by taking up initiatives like referendum in the decision-taking process. Under representative democracy, those elected to represent people take all decisions without consulting people.

Stay up to date on all the latest Hyderabad news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp