VISAKHAPATNAM:n Property worth `1 crore was feared destroyed after a major fire broke out at the Vaibhav shopping mall in Gopalapatnam area of the city Wednesday night. Firemen managed to bring the blaze under control after fighting the flames for more than six hours.
According to additional district fire officer G Krupavaram, the fire department received a call at about 11.30 pm Wednesday stating that a fire occurred on the first floor of Vaibhav shopping mall. Immediately, six fire engines and a skylift were sent to the spot.
The fire personnel had difficulty entering the premises as all the shutters of the building were downed, except for the one on the front. As a result, the flames spread fast and caused further damage to the property. Finally, it was brought under control after over six hours.
Krupavaram suspected that an electrical short-circuit could have triggered the fire. Fire officials registered a case against the showroom management for not obtaining NOC from the department and failing to ensure fire safety measures. Investigation is on.