STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

5 Lakh Born With Epilepsy Every Year; Awareness Major Hurdle for Patients

Five lakh infants are born with epilepsy every year in India. If treated early, quality of life can be improved.

Published: 23rd July 2015 03:22 AM  |   Last Updated: 23rd July 2015 03:22 AM   |  A+A-

Dr Manas Panigrahi

HYDERABAD: Five lakh infants are born with epilepsy every year in India. If treated early, epilepsy can be cured to a greater extent and quality of life can be improved. But lack of awareness and various myths pervading about epilepsy are coming in the way of patients approaching a doctor. Most of the patients come to a doctor only after the problem aggravates and becomes unbearable, Dr Sita Jayalakshmi, senior neurologist at KIMS hospital, said here on Wednesday.

To create awareness about epilepsy an epilepsy support group has been formed at KIMS hospital in Hyderabad on Wednesday on the occasion of World Brain Day. Epilepsy patients, those who have successfully undergone epilepsy surgery, their family members, doctors, among others are part of this group.

Speaking on the occasion she said not even 20 percent of epileptic patients approach doctors. Among all the epilepsy patients, about 70 percent can be treated with medicines and the remaining 30 percent ‘select group’ need ‘epilepsy surgery’. With advanced surgical techniques available today, neurologists and neurosurgeons opine that the recurrence of seizures can be decreased.

‘’First a patient is given medicines for about two years and most of them get cured with medicines. Only if we find that medicines are not giving the desired results, we suggest surgery for a patient,’’ explained Dr Manas Kumar Panigrahi, senior neurologist at KIMS.

Epilepsy surgery is a multi-disciplinary surgery, involving neurologists, neurosurgeons and psychiatrists. The surgery will either completely free the patients from seizures or reduce the number of seizures by almost 90 percent. But most of the patients are unaware of these advanced health care practices.

‘’We suggest an epileptic patient to approach a doctor without wasting time and also suggest to take a surgery in selected cases as epilepsy surgery is totally safe. Also epilepsy surgery can also save a patient from facing problems in his future life. Mainly in case of children, if they need a surgery, it would be better to do it early as child’s development will not suffer,’’ Manas Panigrahi said.

Stay up to date on all the latest Hyderabad news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp