FOR THE FILLING
2 cups grated fresh coconut
1/2 cup mixture of unsalted pistachios and unsalted cashews
1/2 pinch of cardamom powder
1/2 cup milk
1 cup jaggery or sugar
FOR THE OUTER COVER
1 cup rice flour
1 tsp ghee
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
- To prepare the filling, combine coconut, milk and jaggery or sugar and mix the ingredients well. Cook it over medium flame, stir continuously till they are mixed properly.
- Add cashews and pistachios and cook for about one minute. Now add cardamom powder. Keep aside the mixture to allow it to cool down.
- Bring the water to a boil in a vessel. Now add flour, ghee and salt, stir quickly to remove all lumps. Cover the vessel with a lid for some time and let it cook. Remove the lid and keep stirring the mix.
- Now remove the pan from heat and transfer all the mixture on a flat plate. Knead it to make a soft dough. It should be neither too sticky nor too dry.
- Grease the palms of your hands properly and make a ball from the dough. Flatten the dough to make a cup shape.
- Put 3/4 tsp coconut filling into this cup. Dip thumb and index finger in the oil and make 5-6 small pinches on the outside edges of the cup. Bring them together on top and join to shape a peak.
- Put modaks on a greased plate.
- Make rest of the modaks in the similar way.
- Now steam them for about 15 minutes and serve with ghee.
— Recipe courtesy executive chef, Sridhar Sigatapu