Headmistress dies while erecting flag pole for I-Day in Telangana
HYDERABAD: The headmistress of a government school at Medikonda village of Pudur Mandal in Rangareddy district got electrocuted while four of her students received burn injuries while trying to erect a pole for hoisting the flag. Chengomul police said Prabhavathi came to the school, though it was a Sunday, to make arrangements for Monday’s celebrations. She brought chocolates and sweets for the students and also purchased tri-colour and small size flags to decorate the school premises. Four other students joined her in decorating the premises.
“Around 11.30 am, Prabhavathi found that there was no proper pole to unfurl the national flag on the school premises. She was trying to erect an iron pole when it came into contact with high tension wires passing through the school premises. Prabhavathi and the four students got electrocuted,” Chengomul Assistant Sub Inspector (ASI) Y Yadaiah said.
The villages along with police immediately shifted the injured to Vikarabad Government Hospital where doctors declared Prabhavathi brought dead. The four injured students -- Keerthi, Ganesh, Madhumathi of class III and Himateja of class I -- are being treated for burns. Their condition is stable. A pall of gloom descended on the village with the death of the headmistress. Hundreds of villagers visited the hospital to pay their last respects to her.