STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Boy electrocuted while retrieving fancy kite from  powerlines

Published: 13th December 2016 03:33 AM  |   Last Updated: 13th December 2016 04:33 AM   |  A+A-

By Express News Service

HYDERABAD: An eight-year-old boy was electrocuted when he tried to retrieve a kite, which had a Bahubali film poster imprint on it, from an electric pole. The incident took place at Venkataramana Colony in Chevella on Monday.
The boy, on seeing the entangled kite, climbed up the pole and crawled on the power wires to get hold of the kite.

The fancy kite with ‘Bahubali’
poster on it | Express PHOTO

The boy, identified as Puta Charan, was the younger son of Jangamma, a daily wage worker from Shamshabad. The incident which killed Charan has shattered Jangamma who had lost her husband Bhikshapathi about five years ago and had been struggling to make ends meet ever since.
“Her elder son, aged around 10 years, was mentally unstable. Recently, he went missing. Despite best efforts, we could not trace him. Today, unfortunately, the younger boy also died,” said Charan’s maternal uncle.

Jangamma, whose father passed away last month, and her son arrived in Chevella from Shamshabad four days ago. On Monday, at around 3.30 pm, Charan, who was playing in the open area near his grandmother’s hut, saw a kite entangled in overhead powerlines. The ‘Bahubali’ movie print on the kite attracted him and he climbed the electric pole and crawled over the live wires to get hold of the kite but was electrocuted.

Locals told the police that they heard a loud noise and when they came out of their homes they were shocked to see the burnt body of Charan on the wires.
“The boy used to play in the open area. Today, as nobody was there he climbed the pole. Had anybody seen the boy climb the pole, this unfortunate incident would not have happened. The boy must have got attracted to the kite that has a movie poster print on it,” said Charan’s uncle. On receiving information, Chevella police and electricity department officials rushed to the spot and brought the body down. Chevella police sub-inspector Rajasekhar said, “It was an open place. Generally, kids play there. The boy was playing on the ground when he saw the kite stuck on the wires. He climbed the pole and, in the process, suffered electric shock.”  A case of suspicious death was registered.

Stay up to date on all the latest Hyderabad news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp