STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Man swallows whistle, docs take it out

A 21-year-old man accidentally swallowed a plastic whistle which the obstructed the passage of air to his lungs. Soon after swallowing it, Bikshapathi (21), from Chivvmela mandal, Suryapet district, forcefully tried to vomit it out but failed.

Published: 21st April 2017 02:15 AM  |   Last Updated: 21st April 2017 05:54 AM   |  A+A-

By Express News Service

HYDERABAD: A 21-year-old man accidentally swallowed a plastic whistle which the obstructed the passage of air to his lungs. Soon after swallowing it, Bikshapathi (21), from Chivvmela mandal, Suryapet district, forcefully tried to vomit it out but failed.


It remained stuck in his bronchus until doctors from ENT and Anesthesia department in Gandhi Hospital here, removed the whistle on Thursday by performing tracheostomy with bronchoscopy. 


“While the whistle did not cause any injury to his internal organs, the youth would have faced a crisis if it had travelled further inside his body,” ENT doctors at the hospital said. 


This is not first such case that the doctors have operated upon. Around 20-days ago, a 10-year-old boy got admitted at the government hospital after swallowing a whistle and made sounds when he coughed and talked. ENT doctors at the hospital removed it from the boy too.


Bikshapathi, a B Tech student, rolled the whistle under his tongue while playing with his brother’s kids and swallowed it accidentally on Wednesday afternoon. His family members said that after that when he tried to puke it out, he could vomit only food from his stomach. 


Thereafter they explained the situation to doctors. He got admitted at Gandhi Hospital on Thursday where X-rays were taken but doctors could not find anything in the report. Doctors from ENT, Anesthesia department used fiberoptic bronchoscopy, which transmits inner images of organ to camera or eye piece.

“After locating the instrument, optical forceps were used to remove the whistle. The patient is stable now,” said Dr G Srikanth, assistant professor at ENT department. 



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp