Water Treatment Plant allotment triggers Corporation's ire

Though 52 per cent of the water recycled at the Maradu Water Treatment Plant was to supplied to Kochi, the Corp fears that the KWA may divert it

Published: 21st May 2013 11:08 AM  |   Last Updated: 21st May 2013 11:08 AM   |  A+A-

Maradu-Water-Treatment-Plan

Apprehensions are rife over the amount of water to be supplied by the Kerala Water Authority to the city once the Rs 201-crore Maradu Water Treatment Plant is commissioned.  As per the original detailed project report (DPR) 52 per cent of the water recycled at the treatment plant with a capacity of 100 MLD was supposed to be supplied to Kochi, especially the West Kochi area, reeling under acute water shortage. The remaining 48 per cent was to be supplied to neighbouring municipalities, Cochin Port and Naval Base. “But now the KWA officials affirm that only 6 per cent of the water from the plant would be supplied to West Kochi. Another 18 mld of water would be obtained as savings from the existing supply from the Aluva Pump House. But   the supply from Aluva Pump House is not even enough to meet the requirements of West Kochi and hence, we cannot go ahead, pinning our hopes on the ‘savings’ water,” said Kochi Corporation Health Standing Committee chairman T K Ashraf.

Now the KWA plans to supply the major share of water from the Plant to Maradu, Kumbalam, Chellanam, Kumbalangi, Cochin Port and Naval Base, he said.

“We are not against supplying water to neighbouring municipalities but the project was approved by Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) for Kochi. Many divisions of West Kochi are facing crisis and the Maradu project could have quenched the thirst of West Kochi to a certain extend. But now what KWA is trying to divert the water meant for Kochi to other municipalities,” alleged Ashraf. The Opposition leader of the Kochi corporation K J Jacob alleged that the KWA was trying to protect the interests of some MLAs and political leaders. “JNNURM buses allotted for Kochi is being used for inter-district services by the KSRTC. A similar situation should not be happen in the case of Maradu Water Treatment Plant project. We will oppose it tooth and nail,” Jacob said.  Mayor Tony Chammany said that he would ask for a clarification from KWA on the actual volume of water for West Kochi. “At the review meeting held on Monday, the KWA officials told me that once the project was commissioned Kochi would get 56 MLD water, including the savings. However, we will ask for a clarification after analysing the DPR,” he said.

Opposition councillor N A Shafeek said the issue should be taken up at the  next Council to ensure that adequate volume of water is supplied to the city. As per the  project, water will be drawn from Pazhoorkkadavu in Muvattuppuzha river and taken to the Water Treatment Plant.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp